Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Classic vs Vintage... what is the difference?

"Nitpicker" decided to attempt to correct the verbage I used in the next post. I say those stickers are "Vintage". He thinks I'd be more accurate if I said they were (in his opinion) "Classic".

I always defer to Websters American dictionary of the English language, particularyly my 1948 published edition. But that is boxed away in storage. So I will defer to Dictionary.com

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vintage numbers 6 and 9 are the ones that are general in nature, and not relating to wine, so:
6. the class of a dated object with reference to era of production or use: a hat of last year's vintage. –adjective
9. representing the high quality of a past time: vintage cars; vintage movies.


And then a bit farther down: Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic.

The word Classic : of or pertaining to automobiles distinguished by elegant styling, outstanding engineering, and fine workmanship that were built between about 1925 and 1948.

So... now what? Both defintions are relevant, and seem to be equally pertinant.

So, Nitpicker... seems like a draw, but it's my post, and I like the word Vintage due to my understanding of the relevancy to the time period of an item, and the word Classic has become more related to the era of cars, not the items associated with those cars.

Thanks for reading and enjoying the website, if that's my worst semantics error... I'm doing pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment