Saturday, August 07, 2010

The only (and lonely) split window Beetle in Pakistan (if you ever learn of another let me know!)





This is how and where it was discovered after being pushed out of a mechanics shop and left for 8 years on the street as it was desired by the VW Club of Pakistan but the mechanics wouldn't sell.... it had been inside their shop for 20 years before that... some people have a hard time letting go! Finally a club member just took charge of the matter and it's now being restored!
Thanks to Romano for reaching out and keeping track of the Beetles and Microbusses that have been abandoned and neglected! Thanks for lettig me know so I could post these photos! http://picasaweb.google.com/romanokarim/1950Beetle02# for more photos of it

1 comment:

  1. I am the lucky owner of this car. I alsways had a soft spot for Volswagens and wanted to have atleast one in my collection which include cars such as a 1947 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet V12, a 1965 Ford Mustang Convertible V8 289, a 1954 Austin Healey 100, etc. etc. I was after this split window beetle since 1996 and finally managed to convince the owners to let me have it. I picked it up in 2009 and waited a year before starting work on it as wanted to have the documentation updated. The restoration was going fine till May last year and then stopped as denter who was working on it disappeared leaving the car in pieces. This is a common trate of denters in Pakistan. Painter who had been doing my work for over 20 years had some domestic issues involving court cases and left on an extended leave and hasnt returned since. Meanwhile, the mechanical work is all done and I 'll be receiving the completed chassis tomorrow. After giving it a final coat of undercoat, the body will be refitted on the chassis, aligned and ready for a test drive.

    ReplyDelete